Personal injury cases are not limited to automobile accidents and because of that, we are experienced in all types of accidents. In fact, any time you are injured by someone else’s negligence, we can help.
Now, as summer fast approaches, boating accidents will be on the rise and if you are injured on the water, we know what to do to help you recover from lost time at work and lost wages.
Boat owners are required to keep passengers reasonably safe from danger. This may include, but may not be limited to:
- Keeping anchors and sharp objects stowed when not in use.
- Traveling at safe speeds
- Keeping proper amounts of life jackets
- Making sure all safety equipment is in proper working order
According to data gathered by the United States Coast Guard, common accidents include:
- Collision with another vessel
- Collision with a fixed, sometimes submerged, object
- Collision with a floating object (e.g., log, swimmer)
- Mishaps involving a skier or person on a towable object
- Mishaps involving a person falling overboard
- Grounding, sinking, flooding or swamping
- Fire or explosion
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
In 2014 the United States Coast Guard reported 4,064 accidents with 2,678 injuries and 610 fatalities. There were about $39 million in property damages reported from these incidents. When a boating accident is caused by another party’s negligence, people who are harmed are often eligible for compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering as well as other damages.
You need an experienced boating accident attorney when you suffer personal injury as the result of an incident on the waters surrounding Mobile, AL and the Mobile Bay or if you are located around the lakes of Birmingham, AL. An attorney with experience in these matters is often your only way to seek adequate compensation for your injuries.
Remember, to receive compensation for your injuries, your injuries must be the result of negligence by another boater or boat owner. If you have questions regarding a boating accident or any other personal injury matter, please call Jerome Carter at the Carter Law Firm today. We can schedule a consultation, discuss your case, and set the process of recovering your losses. Our number in Mobile is (251)433-6500 and our Birmingham number is (205) 202-4050.